And a hard head- anybody that sprinted to first for every walk .... and to have moved as many times as he did to let the Reds move other folks into the team,best I can recall. He played everything but pitcher and catcher on a regular basis , at one time or another. Didn't stay much at short. And the head-first slide. I've seen him on local talk shows, during batting slumps, with blisters on his hands. This guy had to sell cars, in the off-season, Bench too, to make the kind of cash they wanted. Asked for a raise after getting National MVP from $100,000 to $107,000. Was told it was too much. Guys loved the town, didn't care much for the owners. These guys are the pros I remember...long gone I guess....all of'em today want a fortune. Rose spoke at a banquet at Dryden, he and John Wooden were there for my jr and sr year. We had a hustler for a principal, Jack Keith. They didn't consolidate Lee while Jack was in the schools either, did they? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]



Bookmarks